Professional Organizer San Diego
Find the perfect Professional Organizer San Diego to match both your personality and your needs on this national database of Professional Organizers
NAPO – National Association of Professional Organizers
To find a Professional Organizer San Diego – NAPO San Diego member look here:
ICD – Institute for Challenging Disorganization
The reference in training in Chronic Disorganization for Professional Organizers, ICD has a database on trained Professional Organizers and also offers courses open to the public.
APPO – Association of Professional Photo Organizers
The Coach Approach – Coaching Certification for Professional Organizers
Resources for adults and parents of children with ADD/ADHD
Reading (list from the Institute for Challenging Disorganization)
- ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life by Judith Kolberg & Kathleen Nadeau, PH.D., Brunner Routledge, 2002. (Buy it on Amazon)
- Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood through Adulthood by Edward M. Hallowell, M.D. & John J. Ratey, M.D, 1995 Chapters 1 through 5 only (Buy it on Amazon)
- Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults by Thomas E. Brown, Ph.D. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, September, 2005. (Buy it on Amazon) (Buy it for the Kindle)
- More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD by Ari Tuckman, PhD. 2009. (Buy it on Amazon) (Buy it for the Kindle)
- Fidget to Focus by Roland Rotz, PhD and Sarah D Wright, M.S., A.C.T. iUniverse, 2005. (Buy it at Amazon)
NOTE: ICD receives a small commission from Amazon through the “Buy it on Amazon” links on this page.
Cameron Gott – http://www.camerongott.com
Again the ICD – Institute for Challenging Disorganization will give you excellent guidance and referrals.
Reading (from the Institute for Challenging Disorganization)
- Murphy, T. W. (2009). Life in rewind: The story of a young courageous man who persevered over OCD and the Harvard doctor who broke all the rules to help him. New York : William Morrow. Buy it on Amazon Buy it for the Kindle
- Neziroglu, F., Bubrick, J., & Yaryura-Tobias, J. A. (2004). Overcoming compulsive hoarding.Oakland , CA : New Harbinger. Buy it on Amazon Buy it for the Kindle
- Steketee, G., & Frost, R. O. (2007). Compulsive hoarding and acquiring workbook. New York : Oxford University Press. Buy it on Amazon
- Tolin, D. F., Frost, R. O., & Steketee, G. (2007). Buried in treasures: Help for compulsive acquiring, saving, and hoarding. Oxford and New York : Oxford University Press. Buy it on Amazon
- Tompkins, M. A., & Hartl, T. (2009). Digging out: Helping your loved one manage clutter, hoarding, and compulsive acquiring. Oakland , CA : New Harbinger. Buy it on Amazon
NOTE: ICD receives a small commission from Amazon through the “Buy it on Amazon” links on this page.
Rich source of resources on movies, books and links: www.metropolitanorganizing.com
Find a trained ICD Organizer in the specialty you need -ADD/ADHD, Chronic Disorganization, Hoarding, Aging: www.challengingdisorganization.org
- Geralin Thomas, CPO-CD, Raleigh, NC – Metropolitan Organizing – website: http://www.metropolitanorganizing.com
- Linda Samuels, CPO-CD, Croton on Hudson, NY – Oh so organized – website: http://www.ohsoorganized.com
- Alisa Levy, MD, VA, DC – Embrace Your Space – website: http://www.embraceyourspace.net/
- Cris Sgrott-Wheedleton, CPO-CD, CPO – MD, VA, DC – Organizing Maniacs – website: http://www.organizingmaniacs.com/
- Denise Allan CPO, CPO-CD – Seattle, WA – Simplify Experts – website: http://simplifyexperts.com/
- Scott Roewer, CPO – MD, VA, DC – The Organizing Agency – website: https://www.theorganizingagency.com/
- Regina Lark, CPO – LA – A Clear Path – website: http://www.aclearpath.net/
Ellen Dellap, CPO – Houston, TX – Professional Organizer – website: http://www.professional-organizer.com/
National Association of Senior Move Managers – NASMM
- Barry Izsak Austin, TX, Arranging it All – http://www.arrangingitall.com/
- Cris Sgrott-Wheedleton, CPO-CD, CPO – MD, VA, DC – Organizing Maniacs – website: www.organizingmaniacs.com/
Donating, Selling & Recycling
- www.Craigslist.org – This is a great place to post your items for sale or for free. Please, read the “avoiding scams” section.
- Freecycle.org will matches potential givers and takers of any type of item.
- Goodwill.org – also gives you a calculator for your tax deduction estimate.
- Salvation Army – Donation value for the items you can donate and a calculator for your tax deduction estimate
- In San Diego – Father’s Joe
Mail, Junk Mail & Phone Calls
What catalogs you want to receive? You get to pick and choose right here.
Is Junk Mail flooding your mailbox and your life?
To opt out for five years: Call toll-free 1-888-5-OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com
The phone number and website are operated by the major consumer reporting companies.
To opt out permanently: You may begin the permanent Opt-Out process online at www.optoutprescreen.com
To complete your request, you must return the signed Permanent Opt-Out Election form, which will be provided after you initiate your online request.
Telemarketing: To register your phone number or to get information about the registry, visit www.donotcall.gov, or call 1-888-382-1222 from the phone number you want to register.
Reduce the risk of identity theft by opting out of credit card offer
Reducing unwanted mail
Important Documents – How to decide.
What papers to keep and when to toss. This is a great reference.
JOYS Filing System – a detailed and easy to implement and maintain filing system. Many additional free materials on the website makes this site a must visit.
Junk Removal Services:
1 800 Got Junk – 1-800-GOT-JUNK? offers full-service junk removal for your home or business including offices, retail locations,constructions sites, and more. Our friendly team is happy to meet all your junk hauling needs, including:
Household Junk Removal: appliance, refrigerator, furniture removal and more
Office Junk Removal: computer, printer and monitor recycling
General Junk Removal: leaf, rubbish, garbage removal alternative etc.
A Personal Organizer gives her organizing clients 10% discount offered by 1800 got junk to NAPO members
- for Cell Phones:
Many retailers and telecommunication companies offer cell phone recycling programs. Here are a few:
The AT&T Wireless Reuse & Recycle Program has many options on how to recycle your phone: drop-off, mail and the Cell Phone for Soldiers program. On this page you’ll also learn how to erase your data. Very important!
Best Buy – has a very comprehensive recycling program and even if you bought it in another retailer, they’ll take it, making it a no brainer stop.
Sprint Project Connect – Enables anyone to recycle wireless phones, batteries, accessories and data cards for free, regardless of carrier or condition. Program benefits Internet safety for kids.
Verizon Wireless HopeLine Phone Recycling Program – Verizon Wireless’ retail stores are participating in the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (RBRC) Call2Recycle™ program for collecting spent rechargeable batteries. To participate, simply drop your used rechargeable battery at any of our retail locations nationwide.
Staples – more than just cell phones, you can bring from toner cartridges to office equipment.
Target – a very comprehensive program, you can drop-off used cell phones at any Target store.
Check with your local schools to see if they are engaged in any recycling program. Here is a link, as reference, to bring such program to your school. Look for local partners as well.
- for Batteries:
Check the Call2Recycle.org website and use the locator tool to find a collection center near you for batteries.
OfficeMax has a recycling program through its recycling program membership program. The system provides customers with a system to collect and redeem recyclable office items such as used ink and toner cartridges and cell phones with batteries.
Target and Radio Shack will take back the small batteries used in watches etc. and Car batteries will be taken by service stations.
And if all else fails, check Earth911.com locator tool for collection centers for any type of battery
- for Office Equipment
MaxPerks – Trade in your newer, working technology devices in exchange for a Staples eGift Card. Visit www.staples.gazelle.com and identify your device to see if it has trade-in value. If it does, you ship the device to our partner Gazelle – for free. You’ll receive your confirmation and Staples eGift Card via email, and you can redeem your eGift Card in any Staples U.S. store.
- for Mattresses
First check with local mattress retailers, many of them include pick up and recycling of your old mattress when you purchase a new one. Another option is to donate to local charities.
Mattress recycling centers are popping up all over the country, but they aren’t that prevalent yet. This is a small list of mattresses recyclers. Call or email them to find out more about donating mattresses.
Conigliaro Industries, Framingham, MA., (508) 872-9668.
DR3 Mattress Recycling Facility, San Leandro, CA. (510) 351-0520.
MattCanada, Montréal, Québec (514) 648-7575.
Goodwill Industries, Duluth, MN. (218) 722-6351.
Bed Busters, San Francisco, CA.
Nine Lives Mattress Recycling, Pamplico SC. (843)916-9753.
Dreamsafe, Moorabbin, Australia
Disposing of Household Hazardous Waste:
The Bed Busters provides a comprehensive list of the household waste and materials and how we should dispose of them for the benefit of our environment.
Household Hazardous Waste should be disposed in a special way and you should check your local authority when you have to dispose of items like: paint, oils, medical products – over the counter, batteries, fluorescent light bulbs, oil and others.
In California, check the following link for further information: EPA – Environmental Protection Agency
If you have crayons and won’t use them anymore, Crazy Crayons will recycle them. Check their website for information on how to ship your crayons.
Recycling Plastic Bags
Check the Plasticbagrecycling.org to find a drop-off station in your area. Most large supermarket and retailer chains will have drop off boxes at the store entrances. Just make it a habit to collect your bags and keep them with your reusable grocery bags.
Recycling Packing Materials
You can list your used packing supplies for free on your local Craigslist. In the San Diego area, with the large military community and their frequent relocations, this is the way to go.
Expanded Polystyrene is abbreviated as either EPS or EPF. It can be recycled into such things as: concrete, egg cartons, office products, foam insulation, and garbage cans. To have it recycled call 1-800-944-8448 or visiting the Alliance of Foam Packaging Recyclers website to learn of the nearest EPS drop off recycling location. Some EPS locations may take the plastic bubble wrap too. Ask before you visit.
A Personal Organizer Favorite Organizing Products & Vendors
Here is a list of my favorite and all time go-to organizing gadgets. The ones we use over and over and continue to find new used for them, as well the stores we keep going to both for quality and price.
Alliance of Foam Packaging Recyclers – We all love walking around through the isles, flirting with all the colorful and practical containers, just like kids on a candy store. Even better, when you go shopping with me, you get 10% discount throughout the store and 20% discount on all Elfa systems. A real treat I can offer due to my standing membership with NAPO, the National Association of Professional Organizers.
Alliance of Foam Packaging Recyclers –
The Container Store – Organizing Products I use & Recommend
Organized A to Z – A complete online store for your organizing needs, Organized A to Z offers a wide variety of products for a great price.
ListPlanIt – Are you a list maker? If so, you’ll love ListPlanit! A complete source of list for every imaginable event in your life, you will have fun and find yourself planning your days better!
Target.com– a great and always close by source of organizing products, I use my RedCard to receive 5% discount on all purchases and I pass that discount to you when we’re working on a project together.
Office Supplies Stores:
Target – A great place for all your office supplies and all those colorful pens, sticky notes and binders.
Home & Office Organizing Products
Resources for More Information
Specialized Professional Organizers:
Leslie Josel, New York, Tri-State Area – Order Out of Chaos
Kathy Jenkins – The Organizing Tutor
ADDitude, The Misunderstood Child: Understanding and Coping with Your Child’s Learning Disabilities
LD Online, www.additudemag.com
Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD), www.LDonline.org
Connecticut Association for Children and Adults with Learning Disabilities (CACLD), www.chadd.org.
Smart Kids with Learning Disabilities, www.smartkidswithld.org.
ORGANIZING TOOLS AND PRODUCTS
Assign-A-Day: www.assignaday.4teachers.org (student/teacher calendar)
Learning Works for Kids: www.Learningworksforkids.com (video games that teach skills)
Time Timer: www.timetimer.com
Eggtimer: E.ggtimer.com (screen shot of time counting down)
My PowerClock: www.shop.mypowerclock.com/ (small countdown clock)
IFocus On Work: www.ifocusonwork.com (monitors computer use/distractions)
Google Calendar: www.google.com/calendar
Post it Calendar and Picopad Wallet: www.Amazon.com
Studyminder: www.studyminder.com (homework organizer that keeps track of work times)
Simply Noise: www.simplynoise.com